Counseling and Psychological Services
Northeastern offers in-person individual and group counseling sessions on its Oakland campus to support student wellness and success. The professional staff in our Counseling and Psychological Services Office (CAPS) will help guide you to the services that best meet your needs and encourage you to schedule an initial appointment with a CAPS therapist for assessment.
CAPS utilizes a short-term model of therapy for individual sessions to assist students in addressing issues common in a college setting, including:
- Personal Issues: Stress and anxiety, depression, anger, loneliness, guilt, self-esteem, grief, and loss
- Relationship Issues: Romantic relationship difficulties, sexual concerns, roommate conflicts, difficulties with co-workers, issues with family or friends
- Developmental Issues: Identity development, adjustment to college, life transitions, cultural concerns
- Impacts of Interpersonal and Systemic Oppression: Racial trauma, racialized and gendered violence, anti-Blackness, experiences of homophobia & transphobia, discrimination or bias in the classroom and on campus
- Gender Affirmation Procedure Assessments for Letters of Support
- Academic Concerns: Performance anxiety, perfectionism, underachievement, motivation, concerns about future school and work
- Other Issues: Spiritual concerns, body image/food preoccupation, healthy lifestyle choices, alcohol and drug use concerns, sexual assault
Make a counseling appointment
For students living in California, you can make a teletherapy appointment via Microsoft Teams or phone. For urgent same-day appointments, call 510.430.2111. Appointments can be scheduled starting the first week of classes each semester.
All students, including students living outside of California, have access to Find@Northeastern, a free mental health support that is available 24/7, from any location. No insurance is required. Students can speak to someone immediately and/or connect to referrals for unlimited therapy. Students can also access the Headspace app, or online tools to help manage stress and anxiety through SilverCloud. To access Find@Northeastern, call: 877.233.9477 (in the US), 855.229.8797 (Canada), +1.781.457.7777 (outside the US).
If you are a student experiencing a mental health crisis, you may call the CAPS After Hours Crisis Support Line at 510.430.2111 and press “1” to be connected to the crisis line. This line is available weekdays after 5:00 p.m., weekends, and all holidays.
If you’re a faculty or staff member who has non-urgent concerns about a student, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
As always, in case of a life-threatening emergency, please call 911 or go to your nearest emergency room. If you need urgent support and are on campus, you can also reach public safety at 510.430.5555. If you live on campus, you can also contact the resident assistant on duty.